Sunday, April 24, 2011

Thursday Meditation - Cry from the Depths

Cry from the Depths 

The Psalmist stood before the Israelites crying a soul wrenching cry.  The Israelites have turned their back on God.  They have allowed the worship of other god’s to go before the true and living God.  The people no longer fear the Lord God and have taken matters in their own hands.  Many of us have gotten to this point in life, our spouse decided to leave us, our children decided that robbing and stealing is better than working things out, our jobs have been outsourced or sent overseas for cheaper labor, the credit card company have increased our rates, our decision to invest our money has caused us to lose our investment and threaten our livelihood.  The foreclosure rate, unemployment and the recession continue to rise. 
And if that’s not enough, we received news from the doctor that our love one will not make it through the night or the diagnosis from the tests taken were positive and there is no cure.  Whatever the situation is some of us still have not cried out from the depths of our soul but those who have cried out have gotten God’s attention.  When life beats us down a shallow cry does not get God’s attention.  Shallow cries are from the throat, it’s hollow with no substance, but when a person is depressed and have no place to go like the psalmist, the cry to God will start from the gut.  This is the kind of cry that makes us take deep breaths deep and bellow out from our diaphragm to say “O Lord, hear my voice! Listen to me!"  I need your help.  I have tried it on my own but I can’t do it anymore.  I have sinned and fallen short of your glory.  I have acknowledged and recognized the sin, the unforgiveness, and the apathy in my life, but now it’s time for me to open my mouth and break the silence not only for me but for the community and its problems.  This is what God is waiting for us to do.  God wants us to break our individual silence and speak up and cry those deep well cries that will draw God’s attention and cause others to join in.


Prayer:  God we have not found our voice to cry from the depths of our souls.  We ask that you teach us by showing us where we can join the lament of others so we can cry from our souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All degrading, disrespecting and dehumanizing comments will be removed.