Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Pastorate - Eight Months Check-In

As I reflect on the first eight (8) months as a part-time UMC pastor (part-time LOL), I realize that seminary doesn't offer a practical view or seminar on the pastorate.  As I thought back to my first year of seminary in 2001, there was an orientation seminar about "So you have been called to Pastor".  I took the seminar because I knew God had called me to the pastorate.  Wow, it has taken 11 years but God opened the door.

 As I journeyed through seminary, I forgot about the seminar and when I returned to my home church, the pastorate was so far from my view.  I thought I didn't hear God right when God called me to pastor.  Since I saw nothing was changing in my local church, I started working on my craft: preaching, teaching and writing.  Although I'm a tech geek, I didn't integrate technology into proclamation.  I've read books about revitalizing the church and how our spiritual gifts are used in the building of God's Kingdom on earth.  

During my waiting period I kept educating and positioning myself to be in places where I could learn even if I was not taught. In the areas where I had influence in leadership I was able to be pastor.  I counseled, prepared a budget, created presentations, raised funds for ministry in addition to preaching, teaching, stewardship and missions.  What I learned by asking, watching and reading helped me to be prepared for the pastorate.  

Being pastor has it challenges.  There will be people who will find fault with the pastor because they can't control the pastor.  There will be people who will catch the vision and move because they are ready for growth.  There will be people who will not appreciate the gifts the pastor brings into ministry.  Being pastor is more than taking our ideas, visions and dreams and making them the churches ideas, visions and dreams.  When the pastor and people work on the common areas there will be some exciting times in ministry.  There will be days when you can breathe easy because of the support.  

I'm glad I have colleagues in ministry who gave me great advice, books to read, workshops to attend and a listening ear.  I'm proud to say that since I've listened to God on this journey, I've been focus on what God want from the ministry more than what I want.  Keep focusing on God and listen to the cry from the community then the branch of Zion will meet the needs of the community.  The key is for us to be a light in our communities.  In order to do that we need to be united as one and welcome the world in the church and be apart of the change agent outside the church.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All degrading, disrespecting and dehumanizing comments will be removed.